Built in 1798, Old Town Hall functioned as the center of political and social activities during the height of Wilmington's mercantile-milling economy. The handsome Federal-style structure housed the city's meeting chambers, offices and jail and served as the headquarters and gathering place of civic organizations and included a subscription library. The death of George Washington was observed there in 1799, as were receptions and dinners for the Marquis de Lafayette and President Andrew Jackson. Henry Clay's body was laid in state there in 1851. Old Town Hall, restored to its classical beauty, provides space for exhibitions, programs and special events throughout the year. Old Town Hall is accessible via the Delaware History Museum at 504 N. Market St.
DELAWARE HISTORY MUSEUM IS CURRENTLY UNDERGOING RENOVATIONS AND WILL REOPEN ON SEPTEMBER 10, 2016!