Willingtown Square is a collection of four historic buildings, dating from the mid to late 1700s. In 1976 these buildings were moved to the 500 block of Market Street from various sites throughout Wilmington to save them from demolition. The four structures were built when mercantile and shipping activities were prevalent along the Christina River and grain mills lined the banks of the Brandywine. Willingtown Square is named after Thomas Willing, who in 1731 laid out the village that was to become the city of Wilmington. The houses in Willingtown Square have been placed on the National Register of Historic Places.